Book 2 of The SeaBEAN TrilogyMedina Publishing: £9.95 Thermochromic Paperback
Attacked by an enemy submarine, imprisoned with a madwoman, summoned to rescue a dying pilot and fired at by government agents, 11-year-old Alice, together with her parrot, her dog and her new wartime companions, embarks on a journey through time in the C-Bean, uncovering dark secrets from St Kilda’s past and safeguarding the future before it’s too late.
The mysterious black C-Bean is a remarkable device which, as Alice and her classmates discovered in SeaBEAN (Book 1), knows just about everything and can take them anywhere in the world.
But now it’s broken and stranded on the rocks on the remote Scottish island of St Kilda. When Karla Ingermann, the C-Bean’s designer, turns up from Germany to try to fix it, they perform a factory reset, which accidentally sends it back in time, and Alice’s world is thrown into disarray.
- To mark publication of SeaWAR, Sarah has been carrying out radio interviews, signings, appearances and also events during Climate Week. She is also presenting copies to London libraries and Great Ormond Street Hospital in her red double-decker bus on Saturday 15th March.
- The SeaBEAN Trilogy is the first fiction series to have been produced with heat-sensitive covers that go from black to colour when you touch them, replicating the way the surface of the C-Bean behaves in the story, so readers feel like they are holding a piece of it.
Endorsements for SeaBEAN, Book 1 of the trilogy:
“This book was gripping, capturing, unputdownable and awesome! It was also an exciting and imaginative book. I found out lots of facts about the environment.” The Guardian
“I am giving SeaBEAN to my 8-year-old twin grandchildren to read… they are going to be captivated by the hero of the story, 11-year-old Alice.” Huffington Post
“There’s no feeling that you are reading a children’s book, as the language is clear and intelligent – and yet you are drawn into a dream-like state where impossible events seem perfectly reasonable. Highly recommended.” Good Reads
“An absorbing and intelligent tale with a strong environmental angle.” The Swallow’s Nest
“Flawlessly written, the language is simple and straightforward but not condescending for young readers… the pace romps along with constant changes of venue and lots of adventure.” Best Book Review
“Think Secret Island meets Dr Who’s Tardis and Greenpeace Junior. This non-stop adventure will excite imaginations and stimulate debates.” The Rt Hon Edward Davey MP – Secretary of State for Energy and Climate Change
“A different way of introducing children to environmental issues. The thermochromic covers are a great idea.” Dame Jacqueline Wilson DBE FRSL
“It is the best book that I have read….. EVER” Mia, age 10
- SeaWAR is available now in both printed and eBook formats and retails for £9.95 and is available from booksellers, Amazon and medinapublishing.com.
- SeaWAR – ISBN: 9781909339132, 210 x 148mm Portrait, 176pp Paperback.
- SeaBEAN – ISBN 9781909339125
- Website: seabeantrilogy.com • twitter: @seaholding
- SeaRISE (Book 3) will be available in November 2014.
In the sequel to SeaBEAN, Sarah Holding weaves in historical facts from St Kilda’s past, the islands where the novels are set, as well as introducing the theme of time travel, and bringing into play new environmental challenges for her characters to contend with. SeaWAR raises the game for Alice and her friends, paving the way for the exciting finale of the trilogy, which is yet to come.
Sarah Holding has worked as a postman, an architect, a university professor and an urban development consultant. She is now a full-time children’s author, juggling her writing with looking after a family of three children. They live in Surrey in a funny old house with a leaning tower. When she’s not writing she’s singing, and when she’s not singing she’s playing saxophone in her jazz band. She says she knew there would always come a time when the abandoned island of St Kilda would feature somewhere in her life, little thinking it would be the setting for her first children’s trilogy.
Download the SeaBEAN Trilogy Press Pack